What’s Trending Now and What’s Expected for 2019
For the first time in many years, more homeowners are electing to stay in their existing homes and opting to improve their existing space, instead of moving. The motivation to improve existing space is to make it more beautiful and functional and to make necessary changes that allow for aging in place gracefully. Some of the trends that are expected to continue into 2019 are larger, barrier-free showers and more clearance space in bathrooms and kitchens. Some other major kitchen trends include:
- Home technology – voice activated functionality and integration with Google Home and Amazon’s Alexa, among others – to connect and operate showers, vanities, refrigerators, lighting, thermostats and ovens.
- Appliances are not only becoming more beautiful, they also are becoming more functional:
- Combination refrigerators that offer safe food and wine storage.
- Smaller, more compact dishwashers that use fan-assisted drying thereby eliminating the need for towel drying and third racks that allow for more cleaning capacity.
- Manufacturer apps that connect dishwashers to smart devices that allow users to monitor and adjust settings and create custom wash cycles.
- Customization capabilities for plumbing fixtures. Homeowners now can specify custom colors and materials for their kitchen sinks and faucet setting water spray volume on demand.
- Faucet finishes in rose gold, warm brass and matte black.
- Engineered quartz has become the most popular countertop material, especially in urban and suburban areas.
- Blue continues to gain popularity for cabinets and color schemes in kitchens.
- Appliance garages and shallow shelves are expected to continue to gain in popularity.
- Mixed wood tones will also increase in demand as homeowners increasingly recognize that mixing different tones and textures allows for a unique, custom look.
- The natural organic look paired with splashes of accent and backsplash color is a direction many designers and homeowners opt for.
- High gloss surfaces’ popularity will continue to wane.We’d love to hear about your plans for a new kitchen in 2019! Give us a call: 781-749-6777.